Important: Read this entire page before starting
For each covering you want, you will need to record the following information:
The type of surface you are attaching the fabric to*:
- o Wood
- o Concrete
- o Other (explain in order)
What sides you are attaching the fabric to**
- o Top and bottom
- o Left and right
- o Top and both sides
- o All sides
The opening’s measurements
- o Measure width before height, and make sure your measurement is in inches
- o Example: 42” x 51”
Basic Concrete Openings
- To measure your lanai properly, measure with a four-inch overlap on the left, top, and right sides.
- To measure for fabric covers over doors, measure with a four-inch overlap on the left, top, and right side
- These measurements add four inches to the height of your opening and eight inches to the width.
- The measurements are the same for sliding glass doors as well as garage doors.
- To measure windows, each side should be measured with an additional four inches.
- This means the left, right, top, and bottom should each have an additional four inches per side.
- In total, this will add eight inches to the height and width of your window.
- With windows featuring a stucco band that measures over ½” thick, take your measurement outside of this band.
- If your windows or doors feature molding or trim, you will measure further than the trim. Your measurement should extend far enough for four inches of fabric to lay flush against the wall.
Normal Opening with Wood Frame
- On most homes with wood frames, each opening is surrounded by a double 2×4 wood frame.
- When placing anchors, aim for the middle of the 2×4 frame.
- On each side of the frame, measure one inch from the stud opening.
* On most openings, fabric is attached to the longest two sides measured. However, there are some exceptions:
- On lanais and patios, the fabric should be attached to the left and right sides as well as the top.
- For bay windows, attach the fabric all the way around, on each four sides.
- For larger openings, whose height or width measure greater than 120”, it is recommended that the fabric is attached on three or four sides.
** The type of surface surrounding your opening is important to specify. Different surface types require different hardware, which you purchase with your AstroGuard Hurricane Fabric.
*** The clips that come with your AstroGuard Hurricane Fabric are patented. Typically, a clip should be placed one foot apart along the length of the side you are attaching the fabric. There are, however, some exceptions to this rule. To ensure you are installing your clips correctly for your home and location, review the documents featured with your purchase of AstroGuard Hurricane Fabric.